My Photo
Name:
Location: Maryland, United States

Monday, December 18, 2006

The Holidays

Friday we had a party in the lab I work for in the afternoon. It was fun and Jason got to meet everyone. I brought a shrimp salad. That night Jason came over and we wrapped presents. My gift wrapping skills stink, so we use gift bags. Jason said he'd teach me sometime. Saturday we went shopping for dinner with my family and for the bruchetta I said I'd make for the holiday party we were going to that night with our friends. While I made the bruchetta, Jason vacuumed my apartment and took out the trash. He's such a sweetie. The party was fun, 21 people who all know each other to varying degrees, some from high school, some from college, some like me, from after. I showed my ring to Linda and Dan and they both admired it. We swap presents of $5 or less. The most fought over item was the George Bush toilet paper. We also each got stockings. There was some cool stuff in mine. We had a good time.
Sunday my entire family came over for Hannukah lunch. Jason made a mustard and garlic seasoned sirloin and I made latkes. Leah brought a yummy salad (spinach, mandarin oranges, goat cheese, dried cherries and toasted walnus on the side) and Ima made mac and cheese since Leah is a veg. Kate brought some yummy cookies and Leah made lemon bars and these peanut butter balls which were SO good. Everyone ate well. We traded presents, and Leah got me for the big gift this year. She got me Season 2 of Veronica Mars, which is going to be so cool. Andrew had Jason and he got him this graphic design computer program. I had Ima and I got her this cool necklace and earring set I got her at the Smithsonian folk life festival way back in July. I also got her some handmade lotions from the Renaissance Festival and the book Why Mommy is a Democrat. Leah read it aloud since she is a kindergarten teacher. I also got Season 4 of Coupling and some earrings from Ima and Dad. Jon and Kate gave us a picture of our family from their wedding. It's a lovely picture... but I do kind of have this look on my face like "Oh crap, it's cold, let's hurry it up here." Jason got me this book on the gems from the Natural History Museum which I love, it is my favorite part of the museum. I love the shiny things. :) Ari came out when we were sitting down opening presents and everyone gave him some love. Jason took out the trash and took my keys with him since my building is secure. He kept them in his pocket when he left.... so I got a call a little later and I suggested we just carpool today. So we did.
Today, the other lab I work for in the morning had their party so Jason met everyone there. I made latkes. I figured I would just make more since I made so many already. They came out nice. I didn't get to grab seconds yesterday so I made sure to today. :)
Now I am ready to drop. Whew. But the good part is: I'm done with the shopping and the cleaning and the stressing. And my place smells nice and is clean. It's only 9:30, but I think I'm going to bed. :)

5 Comments:

Blogger kim (weltek) said...

I stick with gift bags for the most part, too. Less messy for everyone involved. Tell everyone you do it to save the environment.

*waits for the leftovers*

8:46 AM  
Blogger ~Nutz said...

Sounds like fun!

We have a Jewish deli about an hour north of here that makes latkes the size of a dinner plate. Are your latkes the size of a dinner plate? That deli is deelish! They have stuffed cabbage like my MIL used to make. Gosh I miss that.

We always make a special trip just to eat about twice per year. I think it's time to go again. Yum!

10:50 AM  
Blogger Seana said...

I stink and did not wish you a Happy Hanukkah. Perhaps I could still wish you a Happy Hogswatch?

HO. HO. HO.

(Did you read "The Hogfather"? It was great.)

2:18 PM  
Blogger Puffy said...

At first I read that Leah's salad had "walrus" on the side. LOL

Sounds like a FULL weekend!

10:52 PM  
Blogger Debcapsfan said...

Of course I did! I love that book. :)

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home