My Photo
Name:
Location: Maryland, United States

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Sound of Silence

Saturday we agreed to spend the day with a friend of ours (Steve), his girlfriend (Jessie), and a friend of hers (I have no idea if her name was Julia or Tiffany, she seemed to alternate so I'll call her Julany.)
You know those people who think that every second should be filled with talking? Well Julany and Jessie talked and talked and talked. In high, squeaky, baby voices. Generally I'm a pretty low-key person. But these girls annoyed me in three seconds of being with them. Jessie had planned that we go to a place in Fellspoint called Bertha's Mussels and then go see the Baltimore Aquarium. Lunch was tasty. Jessie started complaining she was tired after eating and shouldn't have. (Although I have a sneaking suspicion she would have complained she was starving if she didn't eat.) We got in line for tickets to the Aquarium and the earliest ticket they had (they are timed) was for two hours later. So Jessie started whining and pouting. We decided we wanted to go to the Aquarium anyway. It was an incredibly gorgeous day, we were on the water, and Jessie decided she couldn't be outside for one more second. So we went to Barnes and Noble. I made sure we separated from Jessie and Steve and Julany for an hour of bliss. Then we went back outside and did some walking around. We shared some softserve ice cream while Jessie Steve and Julany rushed to be the first people to get in with timed tickets. When we went in, the three of them were sitting in the cafeteria because Jessie was tired, and her feet hurt.
Jason and I saw the Aquarium by ourselves. It was very nice but extremely crowded. We caught up with them at the end. Jessie complained the entire walk back that her feet hurt. Julany kept trying to snuggle up to her to comfort her. The ride home they read books (thank goodness) while Steve and Jason and I talked. We had dinner at Bennigans and FINALLY my temper got the better of me (I was proud of myself I had stayed silent all day) when Jessie was still whining and crying and she apologized. And I said "that's okay, we're not listening anyway."
*laughs*
If I get invited to another outing with Jessie and Steve, I plan on washing my hair instead. I don't think Steve would be pleased if I smacked his girlfriend. :-)

6 Comments:

Blogger Swami said...

*pins a medal on Debs*

Nothing is more trying than having to spent time with people who whine & blather on about nothing. Well, maybe people who contantly talk about themselves and expect you to maintain eye contact and nod supportively every 20-30 seconds.

I hate crowds but I love aquariums!

2:18 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Hey Deb, did I tell you about this one time in high school when I got this really bad grade on my exam, and I yelled out my grade, and got a detention for doing so, but that number became so attached to me, that I now use it in my reporting job, and my call sign is . . . 58?

No? Well, let me tell you. It was early in sophomore year, and . . .

*runs*

Your experience reminds me of this classic Animaniacs toon.

8:51 PM  
Blogger Puffy said...

What a way to ruin a gorgeous day! I assume there will be no next time.

8:14 AM  
Blogger kim (weltek) said...

Ugh. I feel for you. I'd hate to be in that spot. Proud you were able to keep it inside as long as you did!

Chris thinks I'll like his new coworker. She's very "outgoing" and from his description of his conversations with her, she has a rather large ego and loves to talk about herself. Ummmm, yeah. Bet I'll love her.

1:37 PM  
Blogger MM said...

Well I for one am glad you were able to say something snarky at the end. Too bad it will likely have no impact on the twit.

4:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a talker, but not a whiner. Sometimes I can talk and talk and talk, and I try not to. And I don't think I'm too much of a talker around people I don't know well.

I am enjoying my morning walks because it is blissfully quiet.

6:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home