My Photo
Name:
Location: Maryland, United States

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Always Look On the Bright Side of Life

I work as an Administrative Technician for the National Cancer Institute. There is a lot of working with different automated computer systems, a lot of looking over things, not a lot of human interraction. I don't hate it, but it's not the best fit for me. I did want to get into the government, so I left my job at the National Defense University where I was a rock star.
*sigh*
Anyway, I work directly with two Administrative Officers, Linda and Kelli. My boss is Larry.
You know the guy in the Incredibles who straightens the pencil when Bob bumps it...yeah, that's my boss. Kelli is a lot like him. Needless to say, we don't always see eye to eye. She's very very anal. I'm very very not. She lives for this job. I really don't think she has much else.
Today I had a meeting with Linda, Kelli and Larry. They told me that once my probationary period is over, they aren't going to offer me the job permanently. This was not a total shock to me. There were always a lot of little nitpicky things that Larry would point out I was doing wrong....out of the hundreds of travel authorizations I review he'd point out four things I overlooked. I've been singled out, and I don't know why. I ran all this by the other admin tech, just in case I had been missing how awful I am, and she agrees they are idiots.
So now I have two months to try to find a new job. There is no severance in a probationary period. I think I only have to give two weeks notice. I will find out. They probably want meet to stay until my time is up, the end of September. Conveniently this is the end of the fiscal year for the feds. I plan, of course, on leaving so they are in the most chaos possible.
Well anyway, it's only a job. I have a chance now to do something that is a better fit for me. Huzzah.

8 Comments:

Blogger kim (weltek) said...

Well, it's good that you know. Some jobs are just too anal for me. I've gotten less anal over the years & it's led to some blunders that I kick myself for.

So hopefully you find a less nit-picky job. I know there are plenty of jobs to be had there, it's just finding the right one.

11:57 AM  
Blogger HistoryDetective said...

Awww, I am so sorry, Deb. At least they gave you some notice instead of springing this on you at the last minute. I hope that they hire Bob's minion next. That will teach them!

4:57 PM  
Blogger mtw said...

That really sucks. I hate detail oriented crap. I'm a big picture guy.

I hope you're able to find something that suits you better. Do you have any ideas what that might be?

5:32 PM  
Blogger Puffy said...

Sorry to hear of it, but it seems like you have a good attitude. Hopefully your next job will be more suited to what you like to do.

4:26 PM  
Blogger ~Nutz said...

Ah! They don't know how much they'll miss you when you're gone! ...and you will find a better job with no beeyotches!

9:34 AM  
Blogger cq said...

ugh. well, at least you have some time. nothing worse than that oh, shit! feeling of being "let go."

good luck with the job hunt... and if you don't find anything you want/like, don't forget... there's always grad school. :)

3:14 PM  
Blogger Seana said...

Oh dear. Good luck with your job hunt. I'm sure you'll be able to find, as you say, a better fit.

8:16 PM  
Blogger BlindSlim~CSTL said...

I hate to hear that the job didn't work out but I know you will bounce back. Good luck with the hunt.

6:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home