My Photo
Name:
Location: Maryland, United States

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Florida

Florida was wonderful. Dad was nice enough to take us to the airport early in the morning, and our flight was very smooth. We stood in line for a bit and got our rental car. We got a Chevy something, medium sized. I got us a GPS unit so we could figure out where we were going. We decided to go to the Science Museum first before we checked in. I had a lot of fun playing with all the gadgets and interractive things. Then we drove over to the hotel. It turns out that Weston is a pretty new town, so the GPS didn't exactly get us there. But we were close, and when we called it only took a few minutes. I got the room for free because of my Mariott points. We took a much needed nap, and then headed over to the game. The less I say about that the better. Let's just say that I showed up, and they did not. We had club level seats, and they had all these nice food stands on our level. I had a very good chicken sandwich. Jason was cold...I forgot to warn him that the rink would be cold; I guess I've grown used to it over the years. After it became very clear the Caps weren't going to win the game, we got a piece of key lime pie which Jason fed me in bed. It was very decadent.
The next morning we got up and went to the Sawgrass Mills outlet mall to get Jason a swimsuit. All the times last year we went swimming he wore his shorts. We found a decent one at Target, and got a beach towel for two. We drove down to Key Biscayne, which has a state park and a less crowded beach. I went their last when I was in Miami for New Year's 2000 and I remembered it was lovely. The water was a beautiful clear blue, I was surprised by how clear it was. It was windy on the beach, and we had a couple of very brief (about ten minutes tops) showers, but we had a very nice time. We even got in the water a bit and had a nice walk on the beach. It was good to feel sand between my toes. We went back to the hotel and showered and changed for dinner. We went to this seafood place called 15th St. Fisheries, which had a great view of the Ft. Lauderdale waterfront. The food was delicious.
Monday morning I used the GPS to find us a restaurant near the airport for brunch, and it turned out to be in a Jewish community! It was so funny because it was a complete accident. They had a Sephardic temple nearby, which made sense to me. The Sephardim (Hebrew for "Spanish") are those descended from Jews who migrated from the Middle East to the Iberian Peninsula in the 8th-9th centuries, and scattered since 1492 throughout North Africa, south-eastern Europe, back to the Near and Middle East, and parts of the Americas. The food was very tasty. We drove back to the airport and dropped off the car, and flew home. Everything went smoothly again, and we arrived to a day that had been in the 70s. Mother nature must have known we were coming from 80 degree weather and didn't want us to go into shock. :)
Dad and Ima looked after Ari, and dad took some cute pictures. As soon as he sends them to me I will post them.
Unfortunately, I didn't bring a camera with me so I have no pictures. It's a shame too, cause I bought a new swimsuit and it's super cute. :)
Jason and I had a wonderful time. We had been away together before, but never just the two of us. I never got tired of his company. He's so interesting and intelligent and funny and sexy. I'd marry him tomorrow if he asked me to. Too bad life is a bit more complicated than that. :)

5 Comments:

Blogger Aislinn Sirk said...

So next time you are inviting me, right?

What is sun like again?

12:18 PM  
Blogger mm said...

Wow, sounds wonderful, Debs. I've never used the GPS before, it intimidates me, lol!

8:27 PM  
Blogger Puffy said...

Once you've used GPS, you can never go back.

11:12 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Sounds like you had a blast, save for the game itself!

*heads to confession for trying to picture what Deb looks like in her new swimsuit*

12:46 AM  
Blogger kim (weltek) said...

Great trip! I'm glad to hear the GPS was useful. I've considered it a few times. Kind of wish we'd have gotten it for San Francisco.

Yum on the Key Lime Pie!

12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home